Friday, August 23, 2013

August's Artists Round Table...

....trying to have real 'Summery' get togethers we met on my deck in Portsmouth Village (we got comfier chairs now) and be surrounded  by sun & flowers (well...we tried).

Not only did we have a nice group - what is is with the photographers in our midst...we always have about three?! Anyway, Reg kindly brought too many cookies, Cathie brought cookies  and I had made Ikea ginger cookies so we had a bit of a cookie swap at the end of the get together.

Ilana McGrath joined us.
 We had a guest of honour (sort of) - Ilana McGrath daughter of Joan McGrath of 29 years of Fanfayr fame. She had called me to say in turning our her late mother's cupboards there was lots of wool and a collection of knitting and knitting needles. I told her I would see that what I couldn't use would be passed on to a good home. I have already taken some pieces to Value Village so someone who hasn't quite the funds can still knit that warm sweater.  Ilana talked to us about her Mum, Fanfayr and joined us for most of an hour.
We had our usual  catch up, introducing each other to Ilana and talking about our get togethers and how we catch each other up on new shows, review shows we've just done, discuss the ins and outs of the business side of being and artist. I think I was about to do the Sheepdog trials.





One of us arrived on her new wheels!!!! Annette rode up on a brand spanking new e-bike in zingy purple. I got all excited because for a number of years when I was in my twenties I rode around on a Honda 70 motorcycle and loved it.











 I really wanted to see what the ebike is all about.
It seems great for a town like Kingston to get around and do your shopping, get to work etc. They are easy to park and have lovely luggage compartments......of course I had to have a 'go'!

Isn't this great art? I thought it looked like a serpent's head.









Helmeted and ready to go....
Since the meeting the Sheepdog Trials have happened and I did about the same as usual, it was good for me. I moved my felted vests, a sweater and gleaned one or two more for my latest workshop.

On my way up our street!
That's one thing about shows, if you are teaching, looking for participants for workshops a good group of people can be reached, seeing your work and taking an interest in trying it for themselves...even as a one time thing and taking it no further. I have known people taking workshops, not pursuing it but still supporting artisans with their purchases as they have a better understanding of what goes into the creation.

Now we start to talk about the Fall events we have booked, shows, exhibitions, workshops. New work for these and for the holiday gift giving in a few months.

More discussions at the September 3rd A.R.T..... We'll let you know where we are going to meet....any offers? If you have an interesting studio and feel like having a small group out for coffee and cookies....let us know.




No comments: